One of the goals of the Alliance is to be inclusive. To this end, The Children’s Alliance periodically extends an open invitation to organizations that are concerned about children and families to join this effort. The ground rules for being a participant are very clear:
- Commitment on the part of the participating organization to the Core Values and Standards for Children in Charlotte-Mecklenburg.
- Attendance at all meetings by the top executive of the participating organization, or an appointed designee who has the authority to make commitments or decisions on behalf of the organization during a meeting. Currently, the Alliance is meeting monthly as a large group and up to twice a month on committee work.
- Same individual to attend all meetings.
- A level of funding agreed upon by the core group to underwrite the effort.
- The willingness to participate in honest dialogue with professional colleagues and work collaboratively to support the group’s decisions
- The willingness to active participate on a working committee in between meetings
- The willingness to accept some leadership role during the life of the collaborative
Any organization concerned about children may request membership, and/or be nominated, by simply contacting a member of the Alliance who will link the potential participant with a member of the leadership team. A membership application will be placed on file.
The leadership group will review the application to be sure the applicant is committed to the above criteria. Applications will be brought before the core group for consensus on the ability of the organization to meet the criteria. Under the principle of inclusion, no other criteria will be applied to membership.
Retaining membership is contingent on each participant’s willingness to follow the ground rules, which include regular attendance (75% or more of all meetings).